Saturday, October 2, 2010

kamikaze

First of all, the poem I am about to present is tough. Being on anti-depressants has caused me to feel well enough to deal with issues I typically stuff away. One being my tendency to have sucidal thoughts and desires. This is what those feelings are. I would love to be able to walk in the light with these things, and that you may have a better understanding of what those are. But I don't want to unintentionally make you carry a burden you are not prepared or willing to carry. In that case, please don't read this.


I know, first hand, what causes
a grown man
to tip toe down into his basement,
gently press his knees into the floor,
feel the cold barrel of a gun at his temple

It's what a jelly fish goes through
from ocean to glass cage.
It's tentacles buried in the sand
of a retched place she was forced to call
"home."

It's when the last leaf falls from the tree,
and the last beat
hits your last nerve.

It's the train wreck that makes the sound
of his bloody shirt tumbling in the dryer.

It's the tap tap tap
of your shoes on the pavement
going, or leaving, it doesn't matter
because each breath feels like thorns in your lungs
and you pray to God you don't have to do it
one
more
time.

Because you're bored.

You're bored of the same old shit
that weighs too heavy on your eyelids.
The same old shit
and pushes the knife to your wrist and says,

drag.

It's the time between
stepping over used condoms
to get to your after morning shower
the time between walking to the liquor store,
(listening to the
tap tap tap
of your shoes on the pavement)
and watching the cork
fall into a bottle of wine.

It's how the beard of the man
who beat the hell out of you
can smell exactly the same
as the beard of the man you love,
who hurt you just as much.
so you start to beg
to see your blood glistening in the sun
You start to beg
that you would just have the fucking nerve
to not come back up
after diving in the ocean.


But you always come back up.
You always do.

7 comments:

  1. Always rememember and claim the promises of Jesus. You are a daughter of the King - no matter what. He loves you with a love you cannot find anywhere else. He beckons your heart to his. Press in to him. I love you too. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. the way you capture emotion that is so so hard to explain in words, and paint the picture of it, is incredible. i love this because its real. i love your brain and your courage. thanks, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you have done a beautiful job of putting your feelings into words. I can very much relate to some of what you have written. After reading this it felt like a weight was being lifted from my shoulders because I was able to see the things I struggled with for so long so accurately put into the words I could never seem to find. You are truly beautiful my sweet friend and I love you... a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also this stupid thing spelled my last name wrong. Oh well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it. Thank you for offering your beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow E.,
    That was pretty intense. YOu have a way of writing that is beautiful and raw and so exposed. It's a gift.
    I'm glad you're alive and living and learning to feel again.
    I pray there is beauty from the horrible ashes.
    sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I already told you this, but this is eye opening and beautiful. if you ever need anything let me know.

    ReplyDelete