Saturday, May 5, 2012

1 in Six Billion.

Today, marks my graduation day from Bowling Green State University. It means I'm the first in my family to get a college degree. It means that I spent 5 (one too many...) years writing papers, taking exams, and kind of studying. Oh, and a lot of day dreaming. It means I am part of the 2% of the world's population who has a college degree.

But, to me, it kind of means more than that. College ended up being my most brutal and rough yet my most beautiful and incredible times of my life. I remain astounded at the amazing things I got to do, be a part of or just simply happened to me. I feel woven into this part of my life. Plucking at the seams of it hurts. I feel heavy now that I'm graduated, and moving on to a scary part of life. I feel lost. Purposeless. Like the last leaf is falling off my tree. But during this time of grief, I want to remember. My time in college really was a blessing. I got to do things that really were once in a lifetime experiences. Let's remember.

1. GeoJourney. I got to spend 9 weeks traveling around the United States. Seeing the most beautiful sights a person can see, sleeping outside under the stars, dancing in big cities, and hiking mountains. It was by far the best experience of my college career.
2. Meeting my best friend, Rachael Holmes. Who is funny, smart and loves me.
3. Going to India, TWICE!
4. Spending a summer with the Seifferts. Who took me in like family. Showed me Jesus. Loved me a whole whole lot. Who continue to be my BG family today. They have been a HUGE part of my life here.
5. Accepting Jesus on August 2009. 3am. In my room at the Seifferts. I was sweaty, my heart was beating like the wings of a hummingbird and I didn't really know what I just did. I also didn't know how crazily and insanely my life would be transformed from then on.
6. Interning at Cherry Street. Teaching women art. Painting Listening to their stories. I was kind of shocked over how much they showed ME love. I feel really blessed by this awesome experience. I also met some great friends.
7. Being involved in Cru. This community is unmatched by any I have seen. They allowed me to be honest and open. They allowed me to walk were I was. But encouraged me well and spoke truth in my life. I will miss this probably the most. I wear heavy boots as I think about how my community will probably change as I leave college.
8. Spending a summer in Colorado. Hiking everyday.
9. GETTING A CAR.
10. I met Andrea Gibson!!!

These are just 10. I could list 100. I could list a million. A million things that make me and my experience truely 1 in six billion. How beautiful. Thanks to you who have integrated yourself into my life. Watched my triumphs and my train wrecks. Listened to my word vomit, and let me cry on you. (That was a lot of wet shoulders...) I love you guys.

3 comments:

  1. I love this! I'm so happy I got to know you :) you're fantastic.
    -phoebs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praising God, for your amazing 5 years at BG, and praying for this transition time.

    ReplyDelete